Breast surgeons in UMMC provide screening, diagnostic and treatments for breast diseases. Screening include risk assessment and tailored screening for individuals at high risk of breast cancer. Genetic testing is available.
We provide diagnostic services in close collaboration with our breast radiologists. The radiology department has dedicated team of breast radiologists with advanced imaging eg. breast tomosynthesis (3-D mammogram) and shear wave ultrasound.
We provide vacuum assisted biopsy of breast lesions and provide minimally invasive excision of breast lesions. Other diagnostic operative procedures include image guided localisation of breast lesions, microdochectomy and excision biopsies.
Our centre provide multimodal therapies for breast cancer. Cancer treatments are done in close collaboration with our oncologist. We provide neoadjuvant and adjuvant hormonal, chemotherapy and targeted therapies.
Surgical procedures for cancer include breast conservation therapy, mastectomy, endoscopic breast surgery and vacuum assisted biopsy.
We are one of the few centres in Malaysia providing intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT), a new procedure that provide radiation at the time of surgery after breast conservation. This may be done on it’s own or in combination with external beam radiotherapy. This procedure provides reduced number of visits to hospital for breast radiotherapy, it provides geographical accuracy in radiating the tumour bed and reduced radiation to surrounding vital organs eg. lung and heart.
We are one of the few centres in Malaysia that provide sentinel node biopsy which is a procedure to stage the cancer. This minimally invasive procedure reduces risk of lymphoedema or arm swelling of the affected side.
Immediate breast reconstruction surgery after a mastectomy is also provided by breast oncoplastic surgeons or in collaboration with our plastic surgeon.
Our hospital also provides advanced physiotherapy care for lymphoedema, dietetic care and psycho-oncology services.
Background of Unit
- Founded in the year 1993 by Professor Yip Cheng Har
- Began its service with two consultants, one breast care nurse and one clerical staff.
- The Breast Cancer Resource Centre was funded by Avon and the full service runs from December 2005 until today, located at level 6, Menara Utama, UMMC
- Our team has now expanded to a team consisting of 3 consultants, 2 lecturers, 3 breast care nurses and one clerical staff.
- Our team provides full clinical services, updated researches, education and training to new surgeons.
- To ensure a holistic and best breast cancer care to the public and guiding breast cancer patients towards their road to recovery and improving their productivity.
- To create a platform for the breast cancer support group and encouragement for early detection of breast cancer via effective screening methods.
Our vision is to create a “One Stop Centre” for breast care services focusing on a holistic approach for breast cancer patients.
- Our mission is to offer a multidisciplinary services for breast cancer patients besides expanding our research horizon in the new field of advancement in cancer treatment.
- Our centre is also striving to be one of the world-recognised training centres for aspiring breast surgeons especially in the oncoplastic field.
A. Main operation day
- Encompasses common operations including :
- For benign breast cases : Excision biopsy, Microdochectomy, Gynaecomastia surgery, Hookwire localisation and biopsy
- For malignant cases : Mastectomy, Axillary dissection, wide local excision, sentinel lymph node biopsy, quadrantectomy
- Complex cases : oncoplastic procedures such as breast reconstruction with latissimus dorsi (LD) flap, Transversus abdominis muscle (TRAM) flap, local flap, implant/prosthesis and lipomodelling/fat transfer
- Special procedures : Offering intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) services in suitable patients
B. DAYCARE OPERATION
- Cases such as lumpectomy in benign breast diseases, gynaecomastia, vacuum assisted biopsy
- Cases are performed as daycare and patient is not required to stay for more than one day
C. OPERATION THEATRE
- Common cases for superficial lesions
- Done under local anaethesia
MEET OUR EXPERTS
BREAST CLINIC CONSULTATION
Outpatient Clinic Consultation
- Every Wednesday, 8 am to 5 pm.
- Ranges from benign breast diseases, breast cancer, gynaecomastia, general surgical cases, screening in high risk population.
- Patient navigation programme by breast care nurses and counsellor.
- Outpatient physiotherapy (lymphoedema)/ occupational therapy/ counselling service.
Risk assessment clinic (RAC)
- Once monthly on Tuesday 10 am.
- Assesing high risk patients for genetic testing including offering genetic counselling session.
Risk management clinic
- Friday, once a month at 2 pm.
- Follow up and review of new high risk cases that have genetic predisposition for familial breast cancer.
Please attend with a referral note from your doctor to make an appointment to see us.